Coffee Hangouts!

Coffee Hangouts!

Cafe Conversations I

Cafe Conversations
Monday, 6.30 pm

K.D. Uncle was taking another order in the café when he heard that women shout out loud, “Are you not trying to understand what I am saying? She is a Manglik, Do you even know what that means?”

K.D. Uncle gave her a look to shush her down. She apologized with a slight tilt of head. She probably realized that everyone in the café was eyeing her and therefore she lowered her tone and started talking again, “Look beta, I understand that you really like her and she is a nice girl but…”
The guy who was quiet all this while interrupted her before she could finish, “But what Mom? Are you still stuck up with all of this? How does it matter? I mean.. It is none of her fault if some strange astrology believes that I will die if we get married. She is no murderer. How can you even believe anything like that!”

“Don’t talk like that to me Anuj. You know what they say, right? It can have negative consequences; create quarrels and other bigger problems between the two of you. Marriage is no game. Your aunt Shubra’s marriage… Don’t you remember? Her husband died five days after the wedding and that girl, who lived in the neighborhood, Riya or Reeta whatever her name was, she left her husband’s place and the entire family was broken. And that…”

“Will you stop telling me such stories, for once? I don’t care Mom..” said Anuj while the waiter placed a cup of coffee on his table. He waited for the waiter to leave for he obviously didn’t want to be embarrassed further. “I don’t care Mom.. I really don’t care and I don’t wanna know about any aunt or any Seeta, Geeta, Reeta. I expect you to understand. You wanted me to get married and when I told you about Nishi, you were so happy about it. Everyone was happy that I finally made a right choice. Till last week she was a perfect daughter-in-law for you, everything was so great and what now? Suddenly you people are worried that she may kill me or spoil the family? Only because a pandit told you so?”

“I am your mother Anuj. I am concerned about you and so is your father. We don’t want our son to face any curse…”

“CURSE!?” shouted a frustrated Anuj and then looked around to see that everyone in the café was staring at them but this time he didn’t care. “Curse! Mom Seriously? That’s what you call it? You talk like someone I don’t know. Why is it such a big deal Mom? I really love that girl”

“Because beta…” started the mother and was interrupted with a sudden phone call. She excused herself for a minute and walked out of the café. After having a two minute conversation she returned to the table with a big smile.

“What is it?” asked Anuj with a straight face.

Pandit ji called up. He said there was some misunderstanding it is not Nishi who is Manglik, it is you”, replied the Mother still holding on to that big smile. “And that means you can get married to Nishi. Oh! She is such a lovely girl with a pretty face. I always knew you were perfect for each other. I am so proud of your choice Anuj. I just can’t wait to tell your father.” She got up from her seat and was preparing to leave.

“Wouldn’t that be a problem Mom? Me being a Manglik? That won’t have negative consequences; create quarrels and other bigger problems between the two of us?” questioned a confused Anuj.

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that. It won’t be much of a problem. I trust my upbringing and she won’t die if you get married to her.. you are such a cute kid, you can create no harm!” said the Mother as she caressed her son’s hair. “I will call Shubra and give her the news..” She dialed a number and walked out of the café.

Anuj followed with his face half drooped down.



#Ester Demitasse

********** 


(Follow us for updates on - https://www.facebook.com/cafehangouts and visit http://cafeconversations.in/)




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written... :) Great work with the design as well as the content! (y)

Ruchi Sharma said...

Amazing write-up and setup.. But unfortunately, this is our country's reality even in the educated sections of the society.. :'(

Prakhar khandelwal said...

I love your concept.. And the article is too good.. Wish there was more of it.. :)

Anonymous said...

KUDOS to you & your team ! Great work !! (: -- MK

Yukta said...

Lovely work... The write up is very apt and relevant.. The theme is very appealing.. :)

Anonymous said...

Great work guys... please keep it regular and dont let it die and become an inactive blog.. would love to read more on this concept.. (y)

Potter_mania said...

Well done guys! Kudos to your team.. Looking forward to more.. :)

Anonymous said...

I liked the thought behind this post. Really nice. And the ending makes it a true satire.
However, just as a well wisher and a writer, would just advice you to re-read many times before posting.

It will improve the posts a lot :-)

Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

Great concept and a well written satire. iLike! ;) - Aakanksha

Garima said...

Very interesting write-up! (Y)

Post a Comment